Before a substance can be legally added to food in the U.S., with rare exceptions, it must be either an approved food additive, prior-sanctioned, or determined to be generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for use in food. Today, many people choose the GRAS option as the way to meet this requirement.
The GRAS route offers two options, GRAS Notification, where a prepared notice is submitted to FDA for review and comment; or Independent (self) GRAS conclusion where the stakeholder makes the determination that the use of the substance is GRAS.
Both options require diligent study assessments of the feasibility and safety of the ingredient in question.
EAS Consulting Group, LLC has a long and successful history of leading companies through the GRAS process. EAS has expert consultants in the areas of toxicology and regulatory requirements to take you through the steps of a GRAS determination, from study design, identification of a qualified Contract Research Organization, study oversight and preparation of GRAS submission.
Choose EAS for:
- Determination of required performance outcomes and appropriate studies to demonstrate
- Development of study design and protocols
- Identification of an appropriate Contract Research Organization (CRO)
- Coordination of the study initiation and management oversight with the CRO
- On-going monitoring of study protocols and outcomes
- Provide input of appropriate data for inclusion in study reports
- Support the writing of the dossier for FDA submission
If the GRAS option is not feasible or preferred, EAS can help you with other options, e.g., food additive petition, food contact notification, the threshold of regulation, etc.
If you would like additional information or discuss how EAS can help your firm please contact us!